"I surrender to the Divine Protector; I salute the Divine Maintainer of all;
I belong to the Divine Grace that created me; Please bless me to serve The Grace at all times."

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Meaning of Om Na Mo Na Ra Ya Na Ya


Soul Call takes the listener on a healing journey with Sanskrit slokas and an important chant from ancient Indian texts - eight phonemes, Om Na Mo Na Ra Ya Na Ya.

Quite by accident I discovered that repeating the eight phonemes Om Na Mo Na Ra Ya Na Ya work to cleanse the eight vital centers of the body. Most of the songs’ introductions are verses of surrender to the grace that is present in every atom of every being. For example, in one sloka in “Bageshri,” we say, you are the mother, the father, the teacher, my friend, the grace in me, the valor in me – I surrender all to you, Lord of all.

In the sloka in “Basanth Mukhari,” we say, I offer all the thoughts, words and acts I have done to the Lord again and again. The result is a physical transformation that I felt compelled to share.

I personally discovered the healing power of the mantra after I found myself feeling physically great whenever I sang these words.

This is a powerful healing mantra that works to cleanse the eight vital centers of the body. Most of the songs’ introductions are verses of surrender to the grace that is present in every atom of every being. The chant is recreated as eight melodious songs in ragas melding Carnatic, Hindustani and Western influences and accompaniments. I composed the songs to be easy to sing by all audiences - young, old, East and West - whether they are trained in Indian music or not. I also wanted to make the process of meditation and contemplation joyous, so there are vibrant rhythms and percussion instruments woven into the songs.

When you sing, you also have to believe from your inner being about the healing power of this mantra. That combined with the vibrations from the chanting are what bring about this powerful healing feeling.

- CKT

No comments:

Post a Comment