"I surrender to the Divine Protector; I salute the Divine Maintainer of all;
I belong to the Divine Grace that created me; Please bless me to serve The Grace at all times."

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Musical Influences : Girish Walwazar


Even though I studied music when I was younger, people always ask me how I started on my journey.

About five years ago, I revisited my musical roots and started taking voice lessons from Hindustani master, Girish Wazalwar. Girish Dada gave me a window into this melodious, complex, yet totally enchanting world of Hindustani vocal music. He encouraged me to study and showed me a path of losing myself in the music where nothing else seemed to exist but the notes, and space, and the connection with a power far deeper than me.

In my musical journey, I was further guided by other musical greats – Pandit Jasraj, Veena Sahasrabuddhe, Pandit Vijay Kichlu and Shubhra Guha – all stalwarts of various schools of music. And my spiritual guides, Sri Sri Ravishankar and Swami Dayananda Saraswati, always gave me great encouragement to pursue my spiritual journey with a strong focus on music.

With their help, I have been able to put out these albums. As much as I love making the music, I also love hearing the feedback on how it affects people. Send your comments, because I love sharing my journey with the audience.

- CKT

No comments:

Post a Comment